Jaiku Has Been Purchased By Google

As you will probably know if you read this regularly I’m a keen user of the social networking site Jaiku. I’m totally addicted to it I have to admit and today they were officially acquired buy Internet search giant Google. I can’t decide how I feel about it to be honest, I’m happy for the Jaiku guys because I love their service and they deserve to be rewarded for all their hard work but I’m also a little apprehensive about what will happen now.

The news was announced on the Jaiku blog just now

It remains to be seen what happens to Jaiku now but there is some wording in the article that worries me a little, like the following:

Jaiku team – “new user sign-ups have been limited for the time being. The idea here is to enable our team to get right to work with Googleโ€™s engineers on delivering a new, better service to you as quickly as we can instead of spending our efforts on optimizing the current back-end.

I have to wonder what this new great service will be, I’m happy with Jaiku as it is and I hope that this “new, better service” isn’t too different. The strange irony of all this that I’m writing about my concerns on Blogger which is also a part of the Google empire, they pretty much own my whole Internet life these days and I just hope they continue to treat me well cos I’m sooooo screwed otherwise :S

I suppose we will have to wait and see what happens, I hope this helps Jaiku go from strength to strength and like I said I’m happy for the developers, it’s certainly better than being bought by Microsoft or Yahoo I suppose. Time will tell…

Posted in Uncategorized
8 comments on “Jaiku Has Been Purchased By Google
  1. Dave says:

they’re hell bent on world domination!!

2. Dan says:

Yeah I believe they want to call it Google Earth… dud um tish ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. chasyaldora says:

i have been hunting all over for a jaiku invite but the more i read about it, the more ominous it sounds. :/

4. Dan says:

Well it’s a long time since I wrote this post and I can say Jaiku hasn’t changed at all. The only difference is they closed registrations and implemented the classic Google private beta hype model. I still love Jaiku, I’ve tried other things but Jaiku just sticks. I’ve made friends for life on there. That probably sounds over the top but it’s really true. I’ve met some of my Jaiku contacts in real life and we’re really close. It’s a nice community.

If you want an invite I have some, just let me know and I’ll sort something out ๐Ÿ™‚

5. chasyaldora says:

i don’t think it sounds at all over the top to say you met friends for life on jaiku – i met my friend jess on twitter and a couple of other people that i befriended on facebook. although, to be fair, jess is the only one i actually talk to on the phone IRL. :] if she didn’t live in texas, we’d hang out all the time.

one of the things that drew me to jaiku was the sense of community i got just from exploring what people posted. you don’t get that on twitter. twitter seems colder and more impersonal somehow but i don’t understand WHY.

anyway, i would LOVE to have an invite to jaiku if you have one to pass on. i registered for them to send me one when they become available but that was a while ago and i’d pretty much just accepted that i wasn’t ever going to get one. :/

i’m glad to hear that jaiku hasn’t changed at all. i hope it stays that way (or changes for the better) when google finally announces what they’re going to do with it!

6. Dan says:

Invite sent, Jaiku has threaded conversations which is much more enjoyable to me than Twitter. It fosters closer bonds I think, it’s more like a forum than anything else. Let me know when you sign up and I’ll add you as a friend, introduce you to people and get you started ๐Ÿ™‚ DO you want me to delete that post with your email address now? Avoid some spammers

7. chasyaldora says:

yes! that would be wonderful of you! all of it! (deleting the email address, helping me with jaiku, etc.) i’m beaming! ๐Ÿ˜€

8. Dan says: