The Flying Handbags

Hello all, apologies for the lack of Weekly Rewind updates lately. Things have been crazy. I do have a rather special treat for you today instead. A podcast recorded at Barcamp Blackpool on October 15th 2011.

Let me fill in a little background detail to this. I was in Blackpool catching up with my fellow podcaster Pete Cannon of Dick Turpin Roadshow fame. Our good friend Les Pounder of Blackpool LUG came over and asked “are you two up for doing a podcast?”. Of course we were but had no idea what about or what the structure would be. We also didn’t book a space on the barcamp schedule board. This was all very last minute. One of the talk areas at the barcamp was named The Flying Handbag after a well known Blackpool gay bar apparently. This caused much hilarity. We saw it was free and planned to record our discussion there. Upon our arrival another bloke was already there waiting to start his talk and he didn’t look too impressed by our rag tag bunch.

So off we wandered in search of another recording location and ended up sat on the stairs by the gents toilets in Blackpool Pleasure Beach Casino. You can hear what followed next. A rambling and fun conversation between 6 opinionated blokes, with some additional comedy value added by the really loud hand dryer noise coming from the toilets.

Ladies and gentlemen we present….

The Flying Handbag Cast!!!

DOWNLOAD MP3

Running time: 50mins (ish)

The culprits are:

Contains swearing and adult humour from the start. You’ve been warned.

This was a one-off thing really and I don’t know if there’ll ever be more. We all live in different parts of the UK so it might be tricky. Hopefully we’ll get together at another event in future and chat some more.

NOTE: Before a ton of people leave angry comments that there is no Ogg version, I am aware of this. I just don’t have the space, time and bandwidth right now to do two versions and I chose mp3 because more people can play it. Like it or lump it πŸ˜‰ Feel free to make your own Ogg version though or do whatever you want with it.

You can leave comments here and let us know what you think.

Enjoy!

Dan

Posted in Uncategorized
8 comments on “The Flying Handbags
  1. Kim Rasmussen says:

This was fun listening too a shame this is the only show by the flying handbags. Now as I feel guilty for teasing you and Peter about the ogg stuff if someone really is so freedom loving that they want a ogg version they can wget it from here gopher://theru.org/9/media/TheFlyingHandbagCast.ogg it’s on a slow connection so feel the pain πŸ™‚

• Dan says:

@mixi @kim – Thank you both for making Ogg versions. I knew if I protested enough someone would do the work for me hehehe πŸ˜‰ Glad you enjoyed the show. Maybe we’ll reform for a Handbags Fly Again tour in a few years.

2. mixi says:

As you said I am free to do whatever I want with my own OGG version I thought I share it so you actually have a OGG version.

3. Owen says:

It’s no work really Dan, just ffmpeg -i .ogg to make an ogg version.

• Owen says:

Oops, your site stripped the filenames because I put them in brackets.

I meant:

ffmpeg -i inputfile.whatever outputfile.ogg

• Dan says:

@owen – Oh yes I know, I make Ogg versions of about 3 different podcasts I regularly produce. It’s no mystery to me. I just didn’t have the time and more crucially web space to host 2 versions right away. I was already overdue with the release, so I crowd-sourced it πŸ™‚

4. Ken Fallon says:

Hi Dann,

As promised this show got syndicated on hacker public radio. http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=0844

If your listeners want a ogg file we have one available at http://hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr0844.ogg and we’ll throw in the speex file as well hackerpublicradio.org/eps/hpr0844.spx

If anyone fancies doing a podcast themselves, have a read of http://hackerpublicradio.org/contribute.php
    Ken.

• Dan says:

That’s great, thanks Ken. I encourage people to make shows and help out as well. I wish I had time to do it more myself. I shall try! πŸ™‚