I’ve Got A Date

Close up folder of a paper calendar

A Date At Last

Hello all, I have some exciting news. It’s been a long time since I’ve had cause to use this sentence but… I’ve got a date! Sadly in this context I’m only referring to a date for my upcoming surgery. I’ll be going under the knife at The Christie in Manchester on January 14th 2016. Not far away.

If you’ve read my last 2 or 3 posts you’ll know that I’ve had some serious health problems in recent months. After perplexing a good number of medical professionals I was finally diagnosed with a rare condition known as Pseudomyxoma Peritonei, or PMP for short. Sadly not PIMP which would have sounded much cooler. The treatment involves cutting out all the affected areas and cleaning it up with a heated chemotherapy liquid. It’ll be a pretty long surgical procedure and take months to recover from but the prognosis is good. I will have to be scanned yearly to ensure no return of tumours but with a 75% chance of no re-occurrence in 10 years it’s well worth it I’d say. I won’t go on at length I just wanted to share the date for those people who’ve been asking.

I’m looking forward to Christmas and New Year, I can’t wait to get this surgery out of the way and begin down the road to recovery. Get back to work and all the other things I used to do. I went to see Star Wars last night so at least I was able to do that before my op. I’ve also done some techy things lately I’d like to write about, I’ll share those with you soon. I don’t want to spend all my time on medical talk.

I wish you all Christmas and New Year! I’ll report in again soon πŸ™‚

Dan

Posted in Health, Update
25 comments on “I’ve Got A Date
  1. Don McArthur says:

Good luck, Dan. Best wishes.

2. Trish says:

Merry Christmas Dan. Hope all goes well with the op and hope to see you up and about soon πŸ˜‚

3. Joe Ressington says:

Good luck with it all. Look forward to you getting better and sorting out Fab and Dave!

4. Jon Archer says:

Great news on getting your op date. Hope you’re having a decent chrimbo and all the best for the new year mate!

5. Laura says:

Merry Christmas and good luck with recovering quickly from the op.

6. Great news, praying for a win for you mate

7. Heine says:

Hi Dan, sorry to hear about your health issues. I wish you all the best, and I’m crossing my fingers for you to have a quick and good recovery after your surgery.
    Hope you’re having a nice Christmas and I wish you all the best in the new year.
    Cheers from Heine, long time listener of Linux outlaws.

8. Rick Bragg says:

Hey Dan,
    Jam through this man! I hope you have a great new year!

9. We over at Free as in Freedom wish you the absolute best and hope that the surgery goes well and that recovery is smooth and easy.

For those who don’t know, Dan has been the volunteer producer of our oggcast, Free as in Freedom, and we appreciate his work and friendship for all these years.

We’ve both thought of you often and we want you to know that folks here in the USA really care about you and appreciate all you’ve done for Free Software.

10. Windigo says:

Just another friend from across the pond, checking in to wish you well; here’s hoping you recover faster than Arch pushes updates. πŸ˜‰

11. John McGrath says:

Good luck, and soonest recovery! Well wishes your way.

12. Torin Doyle says:

Hi Dan.

I’m very sorry to hear this bad news. I wish you a speedy recovery. You are a top bloke.

Stay strong!

13. Nathan Hall says:

Good luck Dan! Hope it all goes well for you.

14. John Hurn says:

Good luck with the op Dan. Take it easy afterwards though.

Looking forward to hearing about what you’ve been up to on the tech front too.

John
    Long-time LO & RR listener (still catching up with them though!)

15. jD says:

Hey Dan

Good luck. Hope you recover fast.

Have a healthy and happy new year.

16. Rob Williams says:

Get better soon! Looking forward to your “I kicked its ass” post!

17. Olly Clark says:

Great News, All The Best for the New Year Mate and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Olly

18. Yasir Arsanukaev says:

Dan,
    I hope the op will go ok and you’ll recover quickly.

19. Jake Roberts says:

You should say “Hey, I’m Dan. Welcome aboard.” To all the hospital staff. Just to mess with them. Good luck, and I hope to hear you podcasting again soon.